Dog Bite Injuries
If you are attacked or bitten by a dog or other animal, you may be entitled to financial compensation for medical costs, emotional suffering and any long-term complications. To learn more about your rights, please contact San Diego personal injury lawyer Melinda J. Helbock today.
What to Do if You are Attacked by a Dog
If you are attacked by a dog or other animal, you should identify the animal and its owner. If possible, take pictures of the animal and your injuries right away. You should also take notes of the incident such as where the attack took place and whether the dog was on a leash or not. You should also write down the contact information of the owner as well as any witnesses to the attack.
If you are being attacked, you should try to remain calm and refrain from going into a panic. Dogs can sense fear and may attack more aggressively if they sense that you are panicking and feel threatened. The following tips may help you if you are being attached:
- Remain calm and try to take control of the situation by commanding the dog to stand down
- Try to back away slowly, but do not run
- Try to stand sideways, rather that facing the dog to assume a non-threating position
- Clutch your fists to protect your fingers from being bitten and torn
- Protect your face, chest and throat
- If the dog latches on to you, fight back
- If a dog is latched on to another person or dog, you should pick up his hind legs and hold them up to prevent the dog from ripping and pulling which could cause more damage
If you are attacked by a dog, you should report it immediately. You should notify the owner if he or she is not present at the time of attack as well as animal control. You should take pictures of and seek medical treatment for any injuries immediately and make sure the dog has received his current vaccinations.
If there are witnesses, you should get their names and contact information so they can help prove your claim. If you suffer serious injury, you should speak with a personal injury lawyer about your legal rights. You may be eligible to file a dog bite lawsuit if the owner was negligent in the handling of his or her pet.
Talk to a San Diego Personal Injury Lawyer about an Animal Attack
To speak with an attorney about an animal attack and potential dog bite lawsuit, contact The Law Office of Melinda J. Helbock. We represent individuals and families throughout San Diego County in dog bite claims and other serious personal injuries.